Besan dhokla is a popular Gujarati snack which can be instantly prepared under 4-5 minutes. Dhoklas can be steam cooked or cooked in a microwave oven. Here, I am sharing the recipe of instant microwave besan dhokla.
To steam cook dhoklas, you need to steam it for about 15-20 minutes on the gas stove. For instant microwave microwave recipe, it can be cooked in microwave for 4-5 minutes. Eno fruit salt is mostly used to make dhoklas soft and spongy. You can also add bicarbonate of soda and baking powder along with lemon juice, instead of Eno fruit salt.
This is a very healthy & delicious recipe which turns out to be soft, moist & spongy. You can serve dhoklas along with chutney or tomato ketchup.
- 1 cup Gram flour
- ½ cup Semolina/ Rava
- 1 lemon
- ½ tsp. Soda Bicarbonate
- 1 tsp. Ginger-green chilli paste
- 1 tbsp. Baking powder
- Salt, to taste
- Pinch of turmeric powder, if required
- Water, for mixing
For the seasoning
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Mustard seeds
- 1 sprig Curry leaves
- 2 Green Chillies, chopped
- 2 tbsps. Sugar
- 2-3 tbsps. Coriander leaves, chopped
- 1 tbsp. Coconut, grated
- ½ cup Water
- In a mixing bowl, take gram flour, semolina and salt. Mix the dry flours thoroughly.
- Add water little by little to make a batter which is of thick pouring consistency and not watery. Make sure there are no lumps.
- Next add lemon juice of one lemon and ginger-green chilli paste and mix thoroughly. Leave the batter for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, grease a microwave safe bowl with oil.
- Again add soda bicarb and baking powder to the batter. Stir the batter until it becomes frothy and forms bubbles.
- Add the pinch of turmeric powder and mix again.
- Pour the dhokla mix to the microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave on high for 4-5 minutes. Insert a knife or toothpick to the dhokla to check whether it is cooked. If it comes out clean, the dhokla is cooked.
- For the seasoning, heat oil in a bowl and add mustard seeds. Allow it to splutter.
- Next add chopped green chillies, curry leaves. Add water and allow it to boil.
- Again add sugar to the boiling mix.
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down.
- After the dhokla is cooled, run a knife along the edges of the dhokla and remove it to a plate.
- Cut the dhokla to desired shapes.
- Pour seasoning over the dhokla.
- Garnish with grated coconut and coriander leaves.
- Yummy dhokla is ready to be served. Serve with tomato ketchup or green chutney.