Venison masala is a rich tasting curry enclosing an amalgam of flavours. Adding spices and seasonings flavours this tasty venison masala. Here I am sharing a recipe cooked in pressure cooker. This makes an excellent recipe for the slow cooker also. I have tried this recipe in slow cooker also. In slow cooker you should be cooking for more than 3 hours.
Serve this tasty curried venison over hot cooked rice, roti, noodles or naan. You will love this dish. It’s great for these cold wintry months.
For the recipe…
- 6 cups Onions, chopped
- 4 tbsps. Oil
- 2 cups Yogurt
- 5 tsps. Ginger Root
- 7 cloves Garlic, chopped
- ¼ can Tomato Paste
- 2 cups Red Ripe Tomatoes, chopped
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tsp. Pepper, red or cayenne
- 2 tsps. Turmeric powder
- 2 tsps. Garam masala
- 2 tsps. Tandoori masala
- 5 pounds Venison
- 2 tbsps. Coriander leaves, chopped
- Mix yogurt to venison with salt, cayenne pepper, turmeric powder, garam masala and marinade for 30 minutes.
- In a pressure cooker, sauté onions in oil, add salt to release water from onions and it helps to sauté the onions faster.
- Add ginger, garlic, tomatoes, tomato paste and stir in rest of spices on medium high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the venison to sautéed onion mix and stir and cook for 2-3 minutes and lower heat to medium and put the pressure lid on the pressure cooker.
- Cook under pressure at medium heat for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes turn off stove and let it stand for 10 minutes with lid shut under pressure.
- After ten minutes, open and check to see how much liquid is left, you can add water to get more gravy and cook at medium heat for 10 minutes.
- If you prefer less gravy, do not add too much water but make sure that the curry is not burning.
- When the gravy is of required consistency, transfer to a plate.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves.
- Serve with rice, roti or naan.